- Identify individual members of the family
- Provide clues to confirm I have the right person/family unit as you search each census
- Provide clues as to relationship in the family
- Provide clues if I have the right female when surnames change through marriage
- Provide clues when people use nicknames and other name variations from one census to the next
I have prepared a birth year reference chart for each census to help you identify an estimated birth year for each ancestor. This article will focus on the 1890 U.S. Federal Population Census.
Learn more about information about age found in the census:
1890 U.S. Census birth year reference chart
In the 1890 US Population Census, learn the age of each member of the household. The following chart will provide the approximate corresponding birth year for the age provided.
Age calculated as of June 1, 1890.
|Age||Birth Year||Age||Birth Year||Age||Birth Year|
Census taker instructions for age on 1890 Census
The following are the exact instructions given to census taker (enumerator):
6. Age at nearest birthday. If under one year, give age in months.-Write the age in figures at nearest birthday in whole years, omitting months and days, for each person of one year of age or over. For children who on the 1st of June, 1890, were less than one year of age, give the age in months, or twelfths of a year, thus: 3/12, 7/12, 10/12. For a child less than one month old, state the age as follows: 0/12. The exact years of age for all persons one year old or over should be given whenever it can be obtained. In any event, do not accept the answer “Don’t know,” but ascertain as nearly as possible the approximate age of each person. The general tendency of persons in giving their ages is to use the round numbers, as 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, etc. It the age is given as “about 25,” determine, if possible, whether the age should be entered as 24, 25, or 26. Particular attention should be paid to this, otherwise it will be found when the results are aggregated in this office that a much more than normal number of persons have been reported as 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, etc., years of age, and a much less than normal at 19, 21, 24, 26, 29, 31, etc.