Genealogy is a skill requiring preparation and planning; detailed and exhaustive research; and careful correlation, analysis, and reporting.
- Preparation and planning. Develop a research plan based on analyzing and defining the research problem you seek to resolve.
- Detailed and exhaustive research. Use all relevant finding aids and sources, recognizing that differences exist in each source.
- Careful correlation, analysis, and reporting. Correlate all pieces of information that you find—no matter how small—looking for connections and patterns. Summarize your findings and analyze what you’ve learned. Does your analysis warrant a conclusion, or does the information lead you to expand your original plan? Prepare a conclusion or proof statement for ongoing research and reference.
- See your ancestors in their times and seasons
- Build an identity profile about ancestors lives
- Learn to analyze your data
- Verify every source