The identity of the ancestor is more than a name. It is every known detail of a human life, which includes information about the individual, their relationships, and their origin. Begin by targeting your research location. Search for any document created during the time your ancestor lived. Make sure you understand the circumstances under which every document was created, continually comparing, contrasting, and questioning details. From this analysis you will be able to do the following:
- Build a profile about the individual.
- Learn about their relationships.
- Determine their origin.
- Learn to analyze your data
- Verify every source
- Cite each and every source
- Use the Genealogical Proof Standard