As this article was being researched it became very clear that links to United States genealogy and historical societies, libraries, and archives are scattered throughout the web. None of the resources are complete, yet all must reviewed to make sure you have not overlooked a possible source. Many of the resources are compiled on lists of varying names while others are buried on page 50 of Google search. Rather than give you a few links and say “Go Fish” I chose to research and compile links to online state resources in the following categories:
- State-wide Resources
- University Archives and Collections
- Public Library and Community Resources and Archives
- Historical Society and Special Interest Resources and Archives
- Finding State Digital Resources and Collections
- Digital Library Collections
- Historical and Genealogical Society Online Web Pages
While I have sought to provide you a detailed compilation, I know that I have missed some resources. If you don’t find what you seek, I suggest you contact the library or society nearest your place of interest and see if they can help you locate resources that may not be not be online but can be contacted via other means.
**Important note about links: The links that are presented below represent what was available during the research of this article. If the link you seek is broken, simple copy the name of the library, society, archive, etc. and paste it into the Google search engine and you will be lead to the new link or copy and paste the name of institution in Google and find the URL.
Library and society resource list
All resources are on this blog under the topic of Library/Soc. Rsh under the main heading of Genealogy Rsh.
- Genealogy: Part 1—Effectively tapping into local, county, state historical societies and libraries
- Genealogy: Part 2—Strategy for searching societies and libraries
- Genealogy: Part 3—Resources available at societies, university and state libraries, archives and special collections
- Genealogy: Research techniques for societies, libraries, archives & special collections