- One cupful of brown sugar,
- One and one-half cupfuls of flour,
- One-quarter teaspoonful of baking soda,
- Two teaspoonfuls of baking powder,
- One teaspoonful of ginger,
- Two teaspoonfuls of cinnamon,
- One-half teaspoon of nutmeg.
Mix thoroughly by sifting and then rub into the mixture seven tablespoons of shortening. Mix to dough with
- One well-beaten egg,
- Six tablespoons of coffee.
Knead dough well and then roll out one-quarter inch on slightly floured pastry board. Cut with animal cutters and then bake on a baking sheet in a moderate oven for ten minutes. Cool and then wash with a mixture of syrup and water and roll in confectioner’s sugar.
NOTE.—The dough must be fairly soft. If necessary, add more coffee.
- Three tablespoons syrup,
- One tablespoon boiling water.
Mix and use.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss