Wash and scrape the asparagus and allow four stalks for each service. Trim to remove the pithy end of the stalk and then cook in boiling water until tender. Lift and drain well, then place in a dish and cover with the following Sauce:
- Four tablespoons of SALAD oil,
- Two tablespoons of vinegar,
- One-half tablespoon of grated onion,
- One-half tablespoon of finely chopped green pepper,
- One teaspoon of salt,
- One teaspoon of paprika,
- One-quarter teaspoon of mustard.
Beat to mix and then set on ice to chill. Serve ice cold on crisp lettuce leaves.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss