- 2 pounds shoulder trimmings 3 POTATOES sliced
- 2 quarts boiling water 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 onion 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 carrot 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 white turnip 1/3 cup flour
Cut beef in pieces for serving, add water, and simmer two hours; put onion, carrot, and turnip through the food chopper, using coarse cutter, and add to meat; add POTATOES, tomatoes, and seasonings, and cook forty-five minutes; thicken with flour mixed to a paste with cold water. Serve with Dumplings.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)