- 2 cups soft bread crumbs ¼ teaspoon clove
- 4 tablespoons butter ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 apples 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons hot water
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon ¼ teaspoon salt
Mix crumbs with melted butter; pare, core, and slice apples; mix sugar and spices; arrange crumbs and apple in layers in a greased baking dish, sprinkle each layer with sugar; mix molasses, water, and salt, and pour over all. Bake slowly for an hour and a half.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)