- Two quarts of water,
- Three onions, chopped fine,
- One faggot of SOUP herbs,
- Two slices of salt pork, cut into dice,
- One and one-quarter pounds of SOUP meat, with bone in it,
- Two and one-half cups of finely shredded cabbage.
Place in a Saucepan and cook slowly for one and three-quarter hours. Now add two tablespoons of flour, dissolved in one-quarter cup of water, and season with
- One tablespoon of salt,
- One teaspoon of pepper,
- One-half teaspoon of thyme.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss