- Place in a mixing bowl
- Two and one-half cups of sifted flour,
- Two tablespoons of baking powder,
- One teaspoon of salt,
- One-half cup of sugar.
Sift to mix. Now rub in one-half cup of shortening and mix to a dough with three-quarters cup of water. Roll out one-quarter inch thick and fill with the prepared cherries. Roll as for jelly roll and then place in a well-greased and floured pan. Bake in a moderate oven for thirty-five minutes, basting every ten minutes with syrup made from
- One-half cup of brown sugar,
- Three-quarters cup of boiling water.
To prepare the cherries: Stone two pounds of cherries and place in a Saucepan and add
- One cup of brown sugar,
- Four tablespoons of water.
- Cook slowly until the cherries are soft and then add
- Two tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in
- Three tablespoons of water.
Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes. Cool and use. This mixture must be very thick.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss