Select a fat stewing CHICKEN and then singe and draw. Wash and wipe with a clean cloth. Place in a fireless cooker or cook until tender. Now rub with shortening and dust with flour and brown in hot fat in a deep Saucepan. Turn the CHICKEN frequently so that it can be browned on all sides. When the CHICKEN is nicely browned, add
- Four tablespoons of flour,
- Three cups of CHICKEN stock,
- One-half cup of grated carrot,
- Two green peppers chopped fine,
- One-half cup of finely minced onions.
Simmer slowly for one-half hour. Season and serve.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss