Wash one-half cupful of rice in plenty of warm water and then drain. Rinse again and then place in a Saucepan and add two and one-half cups of boiling water. Cook gently until the grains are soft and the water absorbed. Now place
- One teaspoon of bacon or CHICKEN fat,
- Three tablespoons of flour in an iron frying pan and brown carefully until a dark brown, then add
- One and one-half cups of CHICKEN stock,
- Two large onions, chopped very fine,
- Two tablespoons of catsup,
- One tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce,
- Three-quarters teaspoon of curry powder,
- One teaspoon of salt.
Cook gently to the boiling point and then add one cupful of shredded CHICKEN meat and the prepared rice. Heat slowly until very hot and then turn on a hot platter and garnish with finely shredded parsley.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss