- 5 level tablespoonfuls of butter,
- 1 ¼ cups of sugar,
- 3 ½ squares of Baker’s Chocolate, (melted),
- 3 eggs,
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla,
- ¾ a cup of milk,
- 3 ½ level teaspoonfuls of baking powder,
- 1 ½ cups of sifted pastry flour.
Cream the butter, add sugar and chocolate, then the unbeaten eggs and vanilla, and beat together until very smooth. Sift the baking powder with one-half a cup of the flour, and use first; then alternate the milk and the remaining flour, and make the mixture stiff enough to drop from the spoon. Beat until very smooth and bake in loaf in moderate oven.
Chocolate and Cocoa Recipes and Home Made
Candy Recipes, by Miss Parloa (Year 1909)