- 2 tablespoonfuls of butter,
- 1 cup of boiling water,
- 2 tablespoonfuls of flour,
- 4 tablespoonfuls of sugar,
- 4 teaspoonfuls of Baker’s Cocoa,
- 1 teaspoonful of vanilla.
Melt the butter in the Saucepan; mix the flour and cocoa together and stir into the butter; add gradually the hot water, stirring and beating each time; cook until it thickens. Just before serving, add the sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt, if necessary.
Use more cocoa if liked stronger. This Sauce will be found excellent for cottage PUDDINGs, Dutch apple CAKEs, steamed apple PUDDINGs, etc.
Chocolate and Cocoa Recipes and Home Made
Candy Recipes, by Miss Parloa (Year 1909)