Use an oblong pan similar to that used in making cheesecake. Line with plain pastry and then place three cups of bread crumbs in a bowl and add
- Two cups of boiling water,
- One-half cup of syrup,
- One cup of brown sugar,
- Four tablespoons of shortening,
- One teaspoon of cinnamon,
- One-half teaspoon of nutmeg,
- One-half teaspoon of cloves,
- One cup of finely chopped nuts,
- One cup of raisins or currants,
- One cup of marmalade or fruit butter.
Beat to thoroughly mix and then pour into the prepared pan and bake in a slow oven for one-half hour. Cool and then ice with water icing. Cut into two-inch oblongs.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss