- 1 cup milk 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 slice onion ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 slice carrot 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Bit of bay leaf 1½ cups flaked fish
- 1 tablespoon butter ½ cup buttered crumbs
Scald milk with onion, carrot, and bay leaf for fifteen minutes; strain; melt butter, add flour, and blend well; add milk, and stir until smooth; add seasonings and fish; turn into a greased baking dish, cover with crumbs, and bake in a hot oven fifteen minutes. Or arrange a border of mashed potato on a platter, and turn the CREAMed fish into the center, omitting the crumbs.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)