- 3 pounds haddock 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup half-inch cubes salt pork 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion sliced 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart cold water 2 cups hot milk
- 4 cups thinly sliced POTATOES 6 common crackers split
- 2 teaspoons salt
Order skin and bones removed from fish at market, and have them delivered with fish and head; cook salt pork and onion together slowly for ten minutes; add fish head, skin, and bones, cover with cold water; cook for twenty minutes, and strain into chowder kettle; add the fish (cut in two-inch pieces), POTATOES, salt, and pepper, and cook twenty minutes; thicken milk with butter and flour blended together, and mix with chowder; add crackers (which have been moistened in cold water), and cover for five minutes. Cod, hake, white fish, or any firm fish may be used in place of haddock.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)