Place in a mixing bowl
- One cup of molasses,
- Three-quarters cup of sugar,
- Ten tablespoonfuls of shortening,
- Three and one-half cups of flour,
- One level tablespoon of baking powder,
- One cup of cold water,
- One teaspoon of baking soda, dissolved in the water,
- One egg,
- One teaspoon of ginger,
- One teaspoon of cinnamon,
- One-half teaspoon of cloves.
Beat to thoroughly mix and then divide and add the fruit to one part, the cocoanut or chopped nuts to the second part and bake the other part plain. Pour into well-greased and floured loaf-shaped pans and bake in slow oven for forty minutes.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss