Have the butcher cut the liver in thin slices. Wipe with a clean damp cloth and then roll in flour and brown in hot fat. Now add
- One cup of stewed tomatoes
- One and one-half cups of thinly sliced onions
- Two green peppers, chopped fine
Cover closely and cook for five minutes, then add
- Two tablespoons of cornstarch
- One and one-half teaspoons of salt
- One teaspoon of paprika
- One-quarter teaspoon of mustard
- One-half cup of cold water.
Dissolve the starch and spices well and then bring the mixture to a boil and cook slowly for fifteen minutes. Now place mashed potatoes on a large platter, shaping them flat on top. Lay the slices of liver on and then pour over them the Sauce and garnish with nicely brown strips of bacon. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and serve.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss