- One and one-half cups of brown sugar,
- Nine tablespoons of shortening,
- One egg,
- One cup of sour milk,
- One teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in the milk,
- Two teaspoons of cinnamon,
- One teaspoon of ginger,
- One-half teaspoon of allspice,
- One-half teaspoon of cloves,
- Five tablespoons of cocoa,
- Three and one-half cups of sifted flour,
- One level tablespoon of baking powder,
- One-half cup of chopped nuts,
- One-half package of seedless raisins.
Beat to mix and then bake in well-greased and floured loaf-shaped pans in moderate oven for forty minutes. Ice with chocolate ICING made as follows:
- One cup of sugar,
- Six tablespoons cocoa,
- One tablespoon of cornstarch.
Sift to mix and then add just sufficient boiling water to make a mixture that will spread.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss