Place in a mixing bowl
- One and one-half cups of buttermilk,
- One teaspoon of baking soda,
- Four tablespoons of shortening,
- Six tablespoons of syrup,
- One egg.
- Beat to mix and then add
- Two and one-half cups of rye flour,
- One teaspoon of baking powder.
Beat to thoroughly mix and then pour into well-greased and floured muffin pans, and bake for thirty minutes in a moderate oven. When cold the muffins that are left over may be split and toasted and then spread with mountain sweet-spiced jam.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss