Place in a mixing bowl
- One cup of honey,
- One cup of brown sugar,
- Yolks of two EGGS,
- Nine tablespoons of shortening.
- Cream together and then add
- Three-quarters cup of sour milk,
- One and one-half teaspoons of baking soda.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the sour milk, then add
- Four cups of flour,
- Two teaspoons of cinnamon,
- One-half teaspoon of allspice,
- One-half teaspoon of cloves,
- One-half teaspoon of nutmeg,
- One cup of finely chopped raisins,
- One cup of finely chopped nuts,
- One tablespoon of baking powder.
Mix thoroughly and then cut and fold in the stiffly beaten whites of two EGGS. Pour into well-greased and floured pan and bake in a moderate oven for forty minutes. Ice with butter cream icing.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss