Pare and cut into dice three oranges. Place in a bowl and add
- One and one-half cups of fine bread crumbs,
- One cup of boiling water.
- Mix, let cool, and then add
- One well-beaten egg,
- Three-quarters cup of milk,
- Three tablespoons of shortening,
- One-half cup of syrup,
- One-half cup of sugar,
- Three teaspoons of baking powder,
- Six tablespoons of flour.
Mix thoroughly and then pour into either individual custard cups or into a PUDDING mould and set in a pan of hot water. If the Betty is put in custard cups, grease them well and bake for forty minutes in a moderate oven. If put into a mould, bake for one hour.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss