Place in a mixing bowl
- Three-quarters cup of sugar,
- One egg,
- Four tablespoons of shortening,
- Two cups of flour,
- Four level tablespoons of baking powder,
- Three-quarters cup of water.
Beat just enough to mix and then pour into a deep well-greased and floured layer-cake pan. Cover the top thickly with diced peaches and then place in a small bowl
- Six tablespoons of flour,
- Four tablespoons of sugar,
- Two tablespoons of shortening,
- One teaspoon of cinnamon.
Rub between the tips of the fingers until crumbly and then spread on the top of the peaches and bake in a moderate oven for thirty minutes.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss