Place in a Saucepan
- Two calves’ feet, cut in pieces,
- One pound cooked honeycomb tripe, cut in small blocks,
- One cup of finely chopped onions,
- One bunch of SOUP herbs,
- One teaspoon of sweet marjoram,
- Two whole cloves,
- Two whole allspice,
- Four quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook slowly for three hours. Remove the calves’ feet, remove meat from the fat, chop meat fine and return to SOUP, then add three cups of finely diced POTATOES and tiny dumplings made as follows:
- Place in a mixing bowl
- One cup of flour,
- One-half teaspoon of salt,
- One-half teaspoon of pepper,
- One-half teaspoon of thyme,
- One tablespoon of finely minced parsley,
- One teaspoon of baking powder,
- Four tablespoons of water.
Mix to a dough and then work well to blend. Make into small balls the size of a large pea. Drop into the pepper pot and cook for fifteen minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then serve.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss