- 4 PIGEONS ½ teaspoon salt
- Bread Stuffing 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons bacon fat 2 cups boiling water
- ½ onion sliced 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ carrot sliced 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup celery tops
Clean PIGEONS, wipe dry, stuff, and truss neatly into shape. Brown in hot bacon fat in the frying pan, and place in a casserole dish or bean pot; add vegetables, seasonings, and boiling water. Cover, and bake in a slow oven three hours. Remove PIGEONS to serving dish, thicken the stock with the flour mixed to a paste with cold water; cook ten minutes, strain, and pour over PIGEONS. The giblets may be cooked in boiling salted water about ten minutes, chopped, and added to the Sauce.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)