- Two cupfuls of water, 80 degrees Fahrenheit,
- Two tablespoonfuls of sugar,
- Two teaspoonfuls of salt.
- Mix and then add
- One yeast cake,
- Five cupfuls of white flour,
- Three cupfuls of rye flour,
- Two tablespoonfuls of shortening.
Work to a dough and ferment three and one-quarter hours, then proceed as in the straight dough method. When the dough is ready for the pans use the same method as for Vienna Bread. Bake in a similar manner, having the oven heated to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Rye Bread requires an oven hotter than for wheat Bread. Wash the rye Bread when taking from the oven with warm water. Caraway seeds may be added if desired.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss