Place in a bowl
- One cupful of scalded milk cooled to 80 degrees Fahrenheit,
- One cupful of water, 80 degrees Fahrenheit,
- One-half cup of syrup,
- Two teaspoonfuls of salt.
Crumble in one yeast cake and then mix until the yeast cake is dissolved and then add
- Four cupfuls of flour.
- Beat to mix and then let the sponge rise for two and a half hours. Now add
- Two cupfuls of rolled oats,
- Two cupfuls of flour.
Knead to smooth elastic dough and then place in a greased bowl, turning the dough to coat thoroughly with shortening. Let[pg 15]rise for one and three-quarter hours. Pull the corners down to the centre and punch down. Turn over and let rise for one hour. Now turn out on moulding board and cut into loaves. Shape between the hands and place on the moulding board and cover. Let spring for ten minutes and then shape for pans. Place in well-greased pans and brush the tops of loaves with melted shortening. Let rise forty minutes. Bake in hot oven.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss