- 4 pounds shin of BEEF ½ onion chopped
- ½ onion sliced ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ carrot sliced ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups tomato ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper chopped 4 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
Wash meat, sprinkle with salt and pepper; put into an iron kettle or earthen crock; add onion and carrot; cover closely, and bake in a slow oven four hours. Remove meat from the bone; skim fat from stock. Cook tomatoes, pepper, onion, and seasonings twenty minutes; add stock, crumbs, and meat. The meat cooks in its own juice and will be very tender.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)