Place in a Saucepan
- One cupful of molasses,
- Six tablespoons of shortening.
- Bring to a boil and then add
- One teaspoonful of ginger,
- One and one-half teaspoonfuls of cinnamon,
- One-half teaspoon of allspice.
- Stir to blend and then take from fire and let cool, now add
- One egg,
- One cupful of sour milk,
- One teaspoonful of baking soda.
Beat with a Dover egg-beater to blend and then add sufficient flour to make a soft dough that can be handled, usually about seven cupfuls. Form into balls the size of a walnut and then flatten between the hands. Bake upon a greased and floured inverted baking pan in a moderate oven for about ten minutes.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss