Wash and cut the squash into pieces and then cook until tender in boiling water, then drain and rub pulp through sieve. Now measure and place in a bowl
- One cup of prepared squash,
- One well-beaten egg,
- One tablespoon of shortening,
- One-half cup of milk,
- One and one-half cups of flour,
- Two tablespoons of baking powder,
- One-half teaspoon of salt,
- One-half teaspoon of paprika,
- One tablespoon of minced parsley.
Beat to mix and then bake as if for griddle cakes on a hot griddle. Serve with maple syrup.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss