Place in a Saucepan
- One cup of well-cleaned blackberries,
- One cup of sugar,
- One cup of water,
- and the following spices tied in a little piece of cheesecloth:
- One-half teaspoon nutmeg,
- One teaspoon cinnamon,
- One-quarter teaspoon allspice.
Cook slowly until the fruit is soft and then rub through a fine sieve and thicken with
- Three tablespoons of cornstarch
- dissolved in
- One-quarter cup of cold water.
Bring to a boil and cook for five minutes, cool and serve.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss