Place in a mixing bowl
- Three-quarters cup of brown sugar,
- Two cups of flour,
- One teaspoon of salt,
- Two tablespoons of baking powder,
- One teaspoon of cinnamon,
- One teaspoon of ginger,
- One-half teaspoon of cloves,
- One-half cup of cocoa.
- Sift to mix and then rub in
- One-half cup of shortening and
- One cup of syrup,
- Two cups of sour milk,
- Three-quarters teaspoon baking soda,
- Two cups of fine bread crumbs,
- One package of seedless raisins.
Dissolve the baking soda in the milk. Beat all hard to mix and then pour into well-greased and floured oblong pans and bake in a slow oven for one hour. Cool and ice with water ICING. This CAKE is delicious and will keep, if wrapped in wax paper, for a month.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss