- 2 cups tomatoes 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 slice onion 1½ teaspoons salt
- Bit of bay leaf 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves 3 cups hot milk
- 1 cup boiling water 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon soda 3 tablespoons flour
Simmer tomatoes, onion, bay leaf, cloves, and water for twenty minutes, and press through a sieve; add soda, sugar, salt, and pepper; thicken milk with butter and flour blended together, and add to tomato just before serving. Serve with croutons.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)