- 1 peck ripe tomatoes ½ cup whole mixed spices
- 3 onions 1 clove of garlic
- ½ cup salt 1/3 cup dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cayenne 1 quart vinegar
- 2 tablespoons paprika 1 cup brown sugar
Wipe tomatoes, cut in halves, and put in a smooth, clean preserving kettle; add onions sliced, cook slowly for one hour, and press through a sieve; add salt, cayenne, and paprika; tie mixed spices, garlic, and mustard in double cheesecloth, add to tomatoes, and cook rapidly until mixture begins to thicken; boil vinegar and sugar together while tomatoes are cooking; add them to strained tomato; cook until ketchup is thick, or until water will not separate from it when tried on a plate. Remove spice bag, seal in sterilized jars or bottles, and when cool dip tops in melted paraffin.
Better Meals for Less Money, by Mary Green (Year 1909)