Pare and cut in dice
- Six medium-sized turnips,
- Four medium-sized carrots,
- Six medium-sized onions.
- Chop fine
- One small head of cabbage,
- Four branches of celery,
- One bunch of potherbs,
- One teaspoon of thyme.
- Place in a Saucepan and add seven pints of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook slowly for two hours. Mash through a fine sieve and then return to the kettle and add
- One-half cup of flour dissolved in
- One cup of milk,
- One and one-half tablespoons of salt,
- One teaspoon of pepper,
- Two well-beaten eggs,
- Butter, size of large walnut or one ounce.
Stir to thoroughly blend and then add one-quarter cup of finely chopped parsley. Serve with toast.
Foods That Will Win The War And How To Cook Them (Year 1918)
by C. Houston Goudiss and Alberta M. Goudiss